Barcelona ace Lewandowski picks Messi’s Argentina as one of the favourites for the World Cup

Speaking in an exclusive interview with FIFA.com, Barcelona superstar Robert Lewandowski has claimed that Lionel Messi’s Argentina are one of the favourites to win the World Cup in Qatar.

The 2022 FIFA World Cup will get underway in less than a month and Poland are part of Group C along with Argentina, Mexico and Saudi Arabia.

And Barcelona fans will get to see Lewandowski square off against Messi on November 30.

Previewing the tournament and the challenges that await his Poland side, Lewandowski claimed that the match against Argentina will be a huge test as La Albiceleste were one of the favourites to win the competition.

“There’s not much to say when it comes to Argentina. They’re a huge team and one of the favourites to win the tournament in my opinion. With an absolute legend like Leo Messi as their figurehead, there’s no doubt that’ll be our toughest match,” he said.

“It’ll be great to take on such a great side with such talented players.”

Talking about his footballing journey from playing for clubs in Poland to representing absolute giants like Bayern Munich and Barcelona, Lewandowski added:

“Of course, I’ll always be proud of where I come from, but I also know that I had to overcome a lot of hurdles and break through barriers to get to where I am now and that sometimes I had to make things happen myself that I wasn’t able to achieve previously.

“I think that training and educating myself allowed me to develop. And there were also things I had neglected that I knew I needed to improve over time.”

The 34-year-old scored nine goals in nine matches on the road to Qatar, helping Poland clinch a place in the group stages of the World Cup. Speaking about his exemplary goalscoring record, he said:

“I’m definitely pleased to have scored so many goals in qualifying, but particularly because it meant we made it to the World Cup. I know that every one of my goals can help my team to victory, so I’m really happy and proud to have achieved such impressive numbers.”

On the expectations that he carries and has to cope with, Lewandowski added: “I’m aware that the expectations grow every time I succeed and with every goal I score. No matter who we’re playing and what challenges we face out on the pitch, everyone expects me to score – and that’s not always possible.

“I know I should always have that hunger for goals. Many people look at my stats and assume that if I scored then I played well, and if I didn’t then I played badly, but I’m well aware that that’s not always the case. It doesn’t worry me.”

The post Barcelona ace Lewandowski picks Messi’s Argentina as one of the favourites for the World Cup appeared first on Barca Universal.



from Barca Universal https://ift.tt/4SV1vfg
via IFTTT
Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url