Barcelona legend talks Messi, Busquets, de Jong, Maradona, playing for Real Madrid, Atletico

In a recent interview with Mundo Deportivo, Bernd Schuster offered his thoughts on the legacy of Lionel Messi, approving the comparisons between him and another footballing legend, Diego Maradona.

Schuster, who was one of few players to play for Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid, also commented on Sergio Busquets’ legacy at Barça, along with his prospects alongside Frenkie de Jong, among other things.

Here are some of the highlights of his interview with Mundo Deportivo.

On the best player he has ever seen: “The first big star I saw was Pelé, then Eusebio in the 1966 World Cup; then Beckenbauer and Cruyff. I enjoyed the 1974 World Cup when I was 14 years old and, although Germany won, Cruyff was something different from the rest. 

“Later, Maradona arrived, the Brazilian Ronaldo. But for me, the best is Messi. I have not seen anything like it, with so many possibilities.”

On comparisons between Messi and Maradona: “Yes, of course. The only thing that must not be forgotten is that the conditions in which Maradona played are not those of Messi. We would have seen Maradona much more in today’s times. 

“They hit him everywhere, I’ve seen him jump everywhere, he got up, nobody apologized, they hit him again… it was tremendous. Thank God that no longer exists and that’s why the game is more beautiful.”

On why he did not win more with Maradona: “I also wonder why in eight years at Barça I only won one League; plenty, yes. But we were never close to winning another league title. We saved ourselves with the Cups. It cost us Sunday to Sunday. 

“We limited ourselves to winning Clasicos, derbies against Espanyol… and little else. We received that message, but it was our fault for not imposing ourselves on that and saying ‘we want more’. We were conformists and it was a mistake. We fell short, no doubt. I’ve always said: ‘I don’t understand how we only won one league title’.”

On Busquets: “Busquets has become essential in Barcelona and he will be until the end. On another level, but the day Busquets leaves it will be very similar to Messi’s. When he leaves, a replacement would have to be found and it will be difficult because it is Barça’s style and not just anyone can play in his place: you have to look for one of his characteristics, who knows how to read a game, who is sure of the ball like him.”

On Busquets playing alongside de Jong: “He [Busquets] is compatible with De Jong, you have to find the formula, as Xavi has done. It’s okay for them to play alongside each other, but Frenkie likes to dribble, go out with the ball at his feet and that’s dangerous.”

On playing for Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico: “People always ask me, ‘hey, what team are you on?’ and I always make it very clear how much fun I had with the three of them. Each in his own way. 

“In Barcelona, I lived like a king for those eight years, people treated me incredibly and you could see that on the pitch. In Madrid it was different but they also treated me very well. And Atlético was like a family, with Jesús Gil, different from Madrid, a fan-club team. It was a fantastic time. Besides, there were fans who liked football. I think I also won over many.”

On his move from Barça to Real Madrid: “It was something unexpected. I already had it done with Juve, who wanted me to replace Platini. It was almost signed, but at the last minute there were problems,

“Madrid got involved and my family was adapted to Spain. I had a really bad time the first day I went back to Camp Nou in white. It was a difficult day. There were many feelings. It cost me a lot. But we are professionals and we have to continue.”

The post Barcelona legend talks Messi, Busquets, de Jong, Maradona, playing for Real Madrid, Atletico appeared first on Barca Universal.



from Barca Universal https://ift.tt/MKiJOQ5
via IFTTT
Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url