Iniesta talks Xavi, Messi, Pedri, Barcelona return, Ballon d’Or, title credentials

One of the greatest players to have represented Barcelona, Andres Iniesta decided to leave the club in 2018, after having spent his entire career up until that point at Camp Nou.

The 2010 FIFA World Cup winner joined Japanese outfit Vissel Kobe upon leaving Camp Nou, where he continues to play to date at the age of 38.

In a recent interview with The Wild Project, the Barcelona icon spoke about his decision to leave Barça for Japan and said: “I felt that my time in Barcelona was over, it was clear that I did not want to play against Barça and that meant going outside Europe.”

“At Barcelona, you have to give your 200%-300%, and when I felt that I could not do that anymore I decided to leave.”

Iniesta then ruled out returning to Barcelona as a player but insisted that he wishes to come back to the Catalan club as a director or a coach in the future.

“No, no. It’s not that I don’t want it, quite the contrary but my phase as a Barcelona player is already over. It will be impossible to compete with the players there, they are young and physically strong,” he said.

“I want to return to Barcelona as a coach or sporting director, but first I have to learn in different areas, and then we will see,” the former Spanish international added.

Talking about Barcelona’s prospects in the ongoing season and the job being done by his former teammate Xavi as manager, Iniesta said:

“What happened this season is like a miracle. I see them as a great team, complete in all aspects, and Xavi’s time last season will help as well. The season is still long and I have great hope.”

When asked if he thought Barça can win the La Liga title, Iniesta said: “With Barca, I have no doubts. Yes.”

With the Ballon d’Or ceremony being held earlier this week, Iniesta was asked if he felt that he was denied the Golden Orb during his prime. In response, the ex-Barcelona ace said:

“I don’t feel that, it’s not that I don’t like it but it’s not something I miss. I don’t focus too much on individual awards. I won Euro 2012 Player of the Year but individual awards are not something I think about.”

Iniesta then lavished praise on Barcelona youngster Pedri, saying: “Pedri is so great because he is calm on the ball. He plays naturally, without thinking too much. He has everything to mark an era at Barça. He seems to keep his feet on the ground and work hard.”

On whether the 19-year-old is similar to him in the way he plays, the Barça legend said: “Yes, the profile he has in the game. But he doesn’t have to be the same as me, maybe I have some bad things that he shouldn’t take. Pedri with his characteristics will be a different player.”

The veteran superstar also reminisced about his famous goal against Chelsea in the UEFA Champions League, saying: “The ‘Iniestazo’ was unforgettable. It was a pure state of euphoria. I felt like I touched the sky. My shirt removed itself!”

The Barcelona icon then iterated that his former teammate, Lionel Messi, is the greatest player he has ever seen, as he said:

“Messi is the best player I’ve ever seen, I’ve never seen a player like him, not only in matches but even in training he does incredible things. For me, he is No. 1 and there is no one else.”

During the interview, Iniesta also discussed his mental health problems and the ordeals he went through.

“I decided to speak out on my mental health when I was struggling. I know that I am a public personality, but I had to say things like they were. I never thought about people calling me crazy, or weak.”

“When I was struggling with depression, my most enjoyable part of the day was when I took my pill and went to sleep at night. You lose joy from life, from everything. I hugged my wife, but it felt like hugging a pillow. You feel nothing.”

The 38-year-old admitted that he still goes to therapy, saying: “I am still going to therapy, as I need to be at peace with myself. I like to listen to professionals talk about mental health and depression.”

“Eventually, life teaches you that depression and mental health can affect anyone. It’s not about material things. I could have had all the cars in the world and everything I wanted, and it still is hard to face life’s problems. You need to train your brain.”

The post Iniesta talks Xavi, Messi, Pedri, Barcelona return, Ballon d’Or, title credentials appeared first on Barca Universal.



from Barca Universal https://ift.tt/MR7jF5U
via IFTTT
Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url