Lewandowski talks Barcelona fans, Real Madrid, El Clasico, Pedri, Gavi, Ansu Fati

Robert Lewandowski has made a brilliant start to life as a Barcelona player. The Poland international arrived at Spotify Camp Nou from Bayern Munich this past summer and has immediately made a big splash.

The 34-year-old has been one of the main reasons behind Barça’s ascent to the top of the La Liga standings. And even though things have not gone well in Europe, the centre-forward has been among the goals there as well.

In total, Lewandowski has netted 14 goals and set up two more in 12 matches across all competitions. The striker recently sat down for a candid interview with Barça TV+, during which he discussed his move to Catalonia and the quick bond he has struck up with the fans.

“I feel great, when I see the fans, I am grateful and happy to be here. I knew I had to adapt faster, because of my footballing experience, Lewandowski said.

Talking about the love that the fans have shown towards him, the striker said: “From the first days I felt that, I’m grateful for it, it means a lot to me and I’m very happy about it, for me it’s a special thing and a great feeling.”

When asked if he expected to make such a blistering start to life at Barça, he replied: “I didn’t think about how many goals I would score from the beginning, of course, my idea was to score many goals.

“I know I can score more and that’s my focus right now,” he added.

The Poland captain also spoke about the quality of the Barcelona squad, saying: “From the beginning, I knew the talent of the players, we have to work hard to improve, the team is in the process of growth.”

On Barcelona’s rise to the top of the La Liga standings, Lewandowski said: “If you want to be at the top of the league, you have to think about that in every game by winning.

“Sometimes it doesn’t matter how you play the most important thing is to get 3 points and get close to winning the title, we have to think about that every game.”

On being asked to highlight the difference between Bundesliga and La Liga, the former Bayern Munich superstar replied: “Every league is different. If you compare the two leagues so far, I see the Spanish league as higher tactically, and the German Bundesliga more physical.

“It doesn’t matter the differences between the leagues, I played several matches with the champions, so it doesn’t matter how the opponent plays on me and the team has to be ready to eliminate them.”

Barcelona face arch-rivals Real Madrid in El Clasico this weekend and a win would take them three points clear of the champions at the top of the table. Talking about the importance of the contest, Lewandowski added:

El Clasico is always a special thing, special matches, but in the end, there are different games, of course winning against Real Madrid is special.”

Lewandowski played in a Clasico in pre-season (Photo by FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP via Getty Images)

It will be Lewandowski’s first competitive El Clasico although he did face Real Madrid in the pre-season in Las Vegas. On the experience of the blockbuster encounter, he added:

“In Las Vegas, we showed what it means to play in the Clasico, it’s a big match and shows what it means to the fans, it’s a challenge and I’m ready for it, I have experience with that and I played against Real Madrid earlier and I’m happy.”

“When I watched El Clasico, my dream was to play in the match. It’s a big challenge and I hope to make the fans happy after the match,” he further added.

While at Borussia Dortmund, Lewandowski had scored four goals in a single game against Real Madrid. Reminiscing about that match, the striker said:

“Yes (laughs). I received a lot of questions from people about these goals when I came to Barcelona, ​​it was a great event and a really great memory in the Champions League semi-final.”

“I love playing against Real Madrid because it is one of the biggest teams in the world. Playing El Clasico is something different and I always look forward to playing the big matches,” he said, showing excitement for the game.

On his favourite memories from El Clasico matches of the past, he said: “Ronaldinho’s goal. I have many memories because I love watching these matches, many fans are waiting for this match every year.”

Lewandowski has played at the Santiago Bernabeu against Real Madrid in the past with Dortmund and Bayern Munich, with his last such outing ending in a loss. When asked if he thought about that defeat ahead of Sunday’s clash, he said:

“Not at all, now it’s different with another team, another season, other moments, another time, other players. I focus more on our mission and what we have to play as a team and what we do to beat them.”

On what makes Real Madrid dangerous, he said: “I think Real Madrid is playing well, they have great players in all directions.

“We have to prepare well and keep the ball and without the ball, we have to press them. In the end, they are a great team with a lot of experience and I think playing against Real Madrid is always difficult.”

Lewandowski with Barcelona’s young guns Pedri and Gavi (Photo by PAU BARRENA/AFP via Getty Images)

On his equation and relationship with his new teammates, Lewandowski said: “When you talk to your teammates off the field, this is an opportunity to understand how they want to play and to make them understand better how you play.

“After a few exercises and a few matches you understand how your colleagues think. Communication is important to understand my teammates and tactics and this helps me with my movements in the match.”

Talking about the youth talent in this Barcelona side and how their quality at such a young age surprised him, Lewandowski said:

“I saw Gavi, Pedri, Ansu and Ferran, they are very young and their talents are great. Every season they will play better, my presence with them is important for them because they need that experience and confidence on the field. If they are confident they can do the best.”

On Ansu Fati’s tricky situation this term, he replied: “Last season was difficult for him, and this is normal because he needs time to return, he is on the right path to return and he has to be patient, his time will come.”

When asked to send a message to the fans, Lewandowski said: “We will try to give our best, we will play and train seriously, and with the support of the fans it will be easier for us, even if we play in Madrid.”

On what it would mean for him to score in El Clasico: “It will be a special goal.”

On what a win in the Clasico against Real Madrid would mean for the team: “A big step for us.”

The post Lewandowski talks Barcelona fans, Real Madrid, El Clasico, Pedri, Gavi, Ansu Fati appeared first on Barca Universal.



from Barca Universal https://ift.tt/EG08gfd
via IFTTT
Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url