Ronald Araujo talks Xavi, Messi, Benzema, Barcelona captaincy, favourite position

Ronald Araujo’s injury in the international break ruled him out for close to three months, and the effect can be directly seen in the team’s performance. Barcelona have been horrendous in defence since the international break and one does not have to think deeply about the reason.

In a recent interview with the magazine Club del Deportista, the Uruguayan centre-back spoke about his career, ambitions and leadership amongst other topics. Here are the snippets from his interview.

Araujo first gave his opinion on Barcelona’s attempts to bring Lionel Messi back next summer when his contract with PSG expires. His reply clearly echoed the popular sentiment and was in favour of the Argentine’s return.

“If I were Barcelona’s sporting director, I would sign Messi,” he said.

In recent seasons, the Uruguayan international established himself as Barcelona’s most reliable centre-back. Yet, Xavi has often deployed him out of position at right-back on occasions, this term. When asked about his preferred position, he said:

“I feel more comfortable playing as a centre-back.”

Araujo then spoke about his ambitions and goals for the future. His words showed the high bar he sets for himself for the defender has never been one to settle for less.

“I’m looking forward to making my own career. To make my own name like the great centre-backs that football has had.”

The centre-back then revealed the toughest player he had ever played against and detailed what made that player so special.

“Karim Benzema. He is a very smart player, he knows when to stop, how to move, and how to move his teammates. You always have to be careful when you play against him,” he outlined.

Xavi has come under criticism in recent days after his team is on the verge of crashing out of the UEFA Champions League in the group stages for the second consecutive year. Yet, Araujo was all praise for his manager and his ideology.

“When Xavi arrived I had to learn. When I joined the first team, Barcelona had lost their philosophy and their DNA. With Xavi’s arrival, I continued to grow and today I feel very comfortable,” he said.

Talking about his life off the field, the defender said that having a child changed him as a person and also had a direct effect on his football.

“I learned a lot from my daughter. When she came, I learned to value my family way more. When you fail in a match and then come home to see your child’s face, your face automatically changes,” Araujo added.

On the field, Araujo can always be seen as the one who leads from the front. He acknowledged that he was a born leader when asked about his mentality.

“I feel that I am a leader. When I signed for Barça, there were many leaders and I learned a lot from them. Becoming a captain for the B team was an honour.”

Araujo then went on to reveal his dream of becoming a captain for the first team in the coming years. “I am very happy at Barcelona, and becoming a captain would be an honour,” the former Boston River defender stated.

Finally, he signed off the interview by saying that he would always give his all irrespective of where the manager chose to deploy him.

“I prefer playing as a centre-back, which has always been my natural position. However, if I have to play as a right-back, I will give my best in that position.”

The post Ronald Araujo talks Xavi, Messi, Benzema, Barcelona captaincy, favourite position appeared first on Barca Universal.



from Barca Universal https://ift.tt/KtWzY78
via IFTTT
Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url