Former Barcelona manager admits his stint at Camp Nou was ‘his worst coaching year’

Following the departure of Pep Guardiola and the resignation of Tito Vilanova as manager, Barcelona turned to Gerardo ‘Tata’ Martino in the summer of 2013.

The 59-year-old lasted just one year at Camp Nou, during which he managed 59 matches, winning 40 of those (D8 L11), although he could not lead the team to any silverware barring the Spanish Super Cup success.

Martino, who is currently the manager of the Mexican national team, has previously admitted that he did not look back on his time at Barcelona all too fondly.

Reiterating those sentiments in a new interview, the Argentine tactician insisted that his stint with the Blaugrana was the worst year of his coaching year, although he admitted to have learnt a lot during his time in Catalonia.

“I ran away until we got here and you found me,” Martino said (h/t Fox Sports Mexico) when quizzed about his stint at Barcelona.

“I cannot be disappointed, for me it was a great learning, what I continually repeat was that, when I say that it was the worst year of my coaching career, it has to do with something that I feel personally with myself,” he added.

Martino insisted that he did not feel disappointed by his time, but he did not enjoy his work at Barcelona.

“But in no way can I feel disappointed that I was able to manage one of the most important teams in the world. I would be lying if I said that that year was the year of my splendor and the one that I enjoyed the most because the exact opposite happened,” he said.

“There are no reproaches towards anyone because being the Barcelona coach can never be free,” the 59-year-old added.

The post Former Barcelona manager admits his stint at Camp Nou was ‘his worst coaching year’ appeared first on Barca Universal.



from Barca Universal https://ift.tt/ozm59uy
via IFTTT
Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url